We are experts in career technology. We have been providing job board and recruitment technology to our clients since 2000, working with the world’s leading media brands and organisations in 10 languages and 14 countries.
Madgex has offices based across the globe and has been named in The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work for and Great Places to Work. We’re looking for a strong DBA looking to become a Senior or a Senior DBA wanting to work with our excellent Brighton DevOps team to ensure our suite of PostgresSQL and SQL Server instances are scalable, cost effective and highly available.
We host with AWS and automation is our goal, using latest DevOps practices our database infrastructure is automated, monitored and performs at scale. Processing over 200 million calls daily, supporting over 300 production databases with over 25TB of data you will be working as part of the team that is recognised by Amazon Web Services as leading innovators in the latest database technology (https://aws.amazon.com/windows/customers/). This teams ensures that the job board sites that run on our product are secure and available to support over 245 million jobseekers search over 4 million jobs globally and support them in their careers.
Over the next year we are migrating away from Microsoft SQL Server and moving across to Postgres and are looking for someone to help us complete our journey.
The person we are looking for will have the following skills:
- Commercial experience administering PostgreSQL with knowledge of installation, configuration, backup strategy, high availability and security.
- Performance investigation and optimisation.
- Strong SQL programming skills.
- Excellent scripting and automation skills, ideally using PowerShell and bash.
- Ability to support development with expert advice on database design and best practices.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly when speaking with clients and non-technical staff.
- Working knowledge of the administration of SQL Server 2012 databases.
Ideally you will also have:
- Knowledge of data standards and regulations such as PCI-DSS and GDPR.
- Understanding of non-relational data stores like AWS DynamoDB, Elasticsearch and knowledge graphs.
- Experience of AWS RDS PostgreSQL administration.
- Experience of ETL processes and tools.
- Knowledge of ORM frameworks such as Entity Framework.
- Experience with infrastructure as code, ideally using AWS CloudFormation
- Infrastructure and application monitoring using a tool like DataDog.
- Understanding of Linux and Windows server administration.
- Experience with large scale Web Hosting environments.
The top-level responsibilities of this role are:
- Ensure that our databases are secure and operational to our High Availability SLA.
- Ensure that our database infrastructure is scalable and operating efficiently.
- Plan out capacity needs and migrate databases across the infrastructure to ensure all our instances are working efficiently.
- Implement scripting and automation to ensure that patching, maintenance and migrations can be performed efficiently and with minimal to no downtime for customers sites
- Identify sharding needs and requirements and be the expert on how to effectively store our data across our infrastructure.
- Plan out and deliver our Postgres infrastructure to the same level of automation using appropriate AWS service and tooling.
- Be available out of hours to support our on call team to deal with issues outside of their knowledge.
Who You Are:
You will be someone experienced and comfortable with the responsibility of maintaining production data infrastructure, including all the challenges, troubleshooting and varied work that comes with that responsibility. Ability to design and implement creative solutions on various platforms that meet the requirements of the business and team with a keen eye on automation, security and cost. Solid technical knowledge is great, but accountability and proactivity are the key traits that we’re looking for in a senior database administrator. You will be someone who’s always improving yourself and moving with the industry. You will already have achieved big things whether you have a degree or not and you’ll be looking to start the next chapter in your career within a growing, global company.
What It’s Like to Work at Madgex:
At Madgex, we are a community. We’re a friendly bunch with passion, ambition and we thrive on teamwork, learning & development and our regular social gatherings.
Smart – we’re intelligent, innovative, problem solvers
Collaborative – with customers and with each other
Bold – we challenge, we’re brave, we think big and we’re thought leaders
At Madgex, we are a community. We’re a friendly bunch with passion, ambition and we thrive on team work, learning & development and our regular social gatherings. As an equally important member of our team you will be rewarded with:
- A salary of £45,000-£55,000 per annum (depending on experience), reviewed annually
- 25 days holiday, increasing each year you work with us
- Enhanced family/partner friendly policies – we want to support you in those big life moments
- Genuine commitment to your health and well-being, including Health Cash Plan, Perkbox, Cycle to Work scheme and a whole host of activities and approaches from weekly Yoga to quarterly massages organised by our dedicated Health & Happiness team
- Team socials – we’ve had everything from BBQs and bootcamps to beer and our annual birthday bash
- We’re committed to your personal career growth and we’ll provide you with learning and development resources
- A dedicated Buddy in your first week alongside a full induction schedule, giving you the chance to meet the whole Madgex family.
Send us your CV along with a covering letter telling us about you, your career, your ambitions and why you think you’d be a great fit within our team.
We can’t wait to hear from you and invite you into the Madgex team.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Madgex is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Employees and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation (ProtectedCharacteristics).